I don't have techno-fear--I have techno JOY!!! --Eddie Izzard.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Orsay: and now, the bad news

Not to be a total downer or anything...

I've been struggling with my beloved simulations over the past couple of days. I'm not bright enough to figure out exactly why they keep crashing. Crashes notwithstanding, this is my best guess at the distribution of Q values we might expect to get from the resonance we want to populate.

What it includes:
beam spot size, granularity of angles calculated from detector position, all energy losses/straggling and angular straggling in target, energy loss/straggling in detector dead layer, cross section for reaction (correct this time!) with the resulting angular distribution of particles.

What it doesn't include:
any spread in beam energy, whether all particles hit the detectors (I sorta faked the detector effects by assuming all particles go through a dead layer straight-on and have their angular information degraded by a given amount)--so it doesn't give any information about our total efficiency. (this is the part that frustrates me--right now I can't figure out why I can't get the geometric part of the code to work right: it should say whether or not all of the particles hit the detectors and whether the energy signals on both ends are over threshold--but so far it's just crashing. grr.)

With those caveats, this is what the Q value distribution should look like.



Ew. This isn't what we were counting on when we were planning the experiment.

No comments: